Build boating confidence and competence for safe and fun on-the-water adventures. Our Boat Handling course (formerly Seamanship) provides a foundation of knowledge and skills in boat handling and maneuvering, boat operation, skipper's responsibilities, and boating techniques that will advance your boating enjoyment.
Students who complete the Boat Handling course and pass the exam will receive course credit and earn the Seaman grade. They will also receive seminar credit for each of the class sessions attended.
For both sail and power boats, Boat Handling covers a wide range of topics, including:
- Rules of the Road: A Practical Approach
- Confidence in Docking and Undocking: Slow-Speed Maneuvering
- Boating with Confidence: Handling Your Boat Underway
- Anchoring with Assurance: Don't Get Carried Away
- Emergencies on Board: Preparation to Handle Common Problems
- Knots and Line Handling: The Knots You Need to Know
- And other interesting topics
This course is completed in 7 two-hour sessions: six sessions of study, one session of review and the exam. You must have the America's Boating Club Boat Handling book in order to complete the course.
Boat Handling Course Costs
Tuition must be paid during the online class registration. The book for the course should be purchased during registration. Limited quantities of the hard copy book may be available the day of the class.
|Course Tuition Fee (one required):
|USPS Members / Voucher
|Sea Scouts / USCGA / Partners
|Order the book for the course
|Boat Handling Book (one required per household)