America’s Boating Club has an on-the-water training program designed specifically for the new boater. Our Hands-On Training: Basic Powerboat is a skill-based training program that covers the essential techniques of powerboat operation. This program was developed under a grant from the U. S. Coast Guard and incorporates the National On-Water Standards for powerboat operation and instruction.
While it was created with the new boater in mind, our Basic Powerboat program will benefit experienced boat operators as well. They will gain a deeper understanding of boat operation, and learn new skills and techniques. For both new and experienced boaters, this program will raise your boat handling skill level, increase your confidence on the water, and enhance your boating enjoyment.
How Does It Work?
This program is a one-day, 8-hour training session. It includes 3 hours of classroom training and 5 hours of training and practice behind the wheel of a boat. Our approach includes a combination of blended learning techniques and sequential exercises that maximize your skill development. Instruction is provided by qualified USPS instructors.
What Will You Learn?
- Safety equipment and procedures
- Basic operation and controls
- Maneuvering in close quarters
- Operating on plane
- Emergency maneuvers
- Man overboard recovery
- … and more!
- No previous boating experience is required
- Participants must have completed a state-approved boating safety course
- Participants must be mentally and physically capable of operating a boat safely.
- Students requiring accommodations need to contact the instructor prior to training.
This program is offered free to America’s Boating Club Members ONLY on a first-come-first-served basis.